*** Report on HSBC Summer Internship 2018 interview questions from a Cover Letter Librarymember’s experiences. This is based on HSBC Global Banking – Securities Services Summer Internship in London in 2018. There may be some variations depending on the offices or other new updates to the recruitment practice – so please use this for reference/preparation purposes only ***
Some first bits on the logistics
- Who’s the lucky company?
- For which division at HSBC?
HSBC Securities Services
- And for which office?
- Which year was this HSBC interview?
- What’s the formal title of the position you interviewed for?
Global Banking – HSBC Securities Services Summer Internship
- How were you informed of this HSBCinterview?
Other_ Conversion from spring week
- Were you able to choose the time slot yourself?
- And this interview was therefore…
In the morning
- Was this a … ?
- Which stage was this HSBC interview?
Let’s talk about this assessment day in some details
- What’s the format of the day?
2 role plays
- Were there any case study? Tell us about it.
The case study was a role play. One was regarding a territorial dispute over an oil exploration area and you were an analyst explaining to senior management how they should respond to clients. It was a bit hard to understand some aspects. Another was explaining ecommerce to a client. It was hard because you had to make some judgement calls.
- Was there any group presentation / discussion?
We had to pick a topic among 7, the topics were all general and relatable to the average student. The time given was very short.
- Were there any other exercises? Tell us more.
- Onto the interviews, how many separate interviews were there in total ?
- How many interviewers were in each interview and in total?
One had 2, the other had 1
- How long was each interview?
30-45 min each
- Were there any personal / CV-based questions? If yes, what were they?
Yes, they asked about how others would describe you.
- Were there any competencies questions? If yes, what were they?
Yes, they asked many questions on various topics such as about values, leadership, a time where you had to handle a difficult group member, etc.
- Were there any technical questions? If yes, what were they?
They asked for a description of what services HSS provides and an understanding of what Global Custody meant.
- Any other weird questions we haven’t covered?
- What was the most difficult / unusual question among these? How did you deal with it?
The most difficult was finding personal examples for the competency questions. I politely asked for some more time to think.
- What was the most unexpected thing about this assessment day ?
The group discussion was not related to finance at all.
- Did you get the offer?
- How long roughly did it take for you to hear back about this outcome?
One of my interviewers called me back right after the whole thing ended
- Via what means did you hear back about this outcome?
- Is there anything you wish you should have known or prepared for prior to this assessment day at HSBC?
- Overall, out of 10, how would you evaluate your experience of this assessment day with HSBC?
- Before you go, is there anything else you think will help other candidates ace this assessment day at HSBC?
Just be yourself and engage with the interviewers