Report on Goldman Sachs interview questions and details of the sessions written from Cover Letter Library candidates’ experiences. This is based on GS final round interviews for the Investment Banking Division in London in 2014. There may be some variations depending on the offices or other new updates to the recruitment practice by the bank – so please use this as a rough reference only
The interviewers don’t have a set outline of questions. It is advisable for you to be prepared for both competency questions and be fully equipped to discuss current economic issues. The interviewer’s focus is about finding out whether you fit the role you have applied for.
Goldman Sachs Interview Questions may include:
Personal / Competency Questions
• Why banking?
• Why GS?
• Why London?
• Specific questions about experiences stated on your CV
• Can you give an example of a time you worked in a team?
• What deals in the media have recently caught your interest?
• Do you understand what you’re signing up for (stated more tactfully)?
• What are your long term plans? (Do you plan to be in London in the long term?)
*Questions highlighted in blue may not come up, but might be worth preparing for anyway!
• What would I look at if I were trying to value a company? (this question usually leads to a series of questions on valuation usually in the context of a hypothetic
• Questions about which valuation method would be most appropriate in a given hypothetic context (e.g. when valuing a mining company in South Africa or an upstream oil and gas company )
• Which valuation metrics would one look at in a given context (e.g. when valuing a mining company in South Africa or an upstream oil and gas company )
• Walk me through a DCF – questions here include
• Calculating free cash flow
• Calculating WACC
• Terminal value
• What kind of interest rate assumptions are most appropriate
• Questions on the mechanics of a merger model
• Questions around appropriate assumptions cost of equity, cost of debt and cost of stock – framed as part of a larger question
• Questions on the mechanics of an LBO
• Questions to probe understanding how capital structure affects returns
• Questions about project finance -again in the context of a specific eg
• Where do the revenues come from?
• What are the costs?
• What do you expect the returns to be?
• What do you think the capital structure of the project is?
• Current affairs – us debt ceiling and your take on interest rates going forward
Goldman Sachs Overview
Goldman Sachs interview for experienced, questions asked in Goldman Sachs interview,
goldman sachs second round interview, goldman sachs interview questions, interview questions for final round, goldman sachs finance interview questions, final round interview questions, about goldman sachs interview question, final goldman sachs, final goldman sachs, career site, summer analyst, hiring decision, phone interview, goldman sachs interview experience, jobs interviews, interview questions, technical questions, hirevue interview, interview process, salary expectations, job offers